Language requirements

Speaking the language is essential to succeeding in your study! International students who enrol in one of our English-taught Bachelor’s or Master’s programmes must show proof of English proficiency through an English-language test. In a limited number of cases, exemptions can be granted. Students who apply for a Dutch-taught programme must pass the Staatsexamen NT2 programme II.


English-taught Bachelor Programmes

For international students enrolling in one of the English-taught Bachelor programmes, HU accepts one of the following documents as proof of English proficiency:

Name  Minimum score 
Certificate of TOEFL 80 (internet-based) or 550 (paper-based) 
Certificate of IELTS (Academic)  6.0 
Cambridge English Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) Grade C scale 180- 184
Cambridge English First (FCE) - Grade B scale 173 - 175
Cambridge English First (FCE) - Grade C scale 169 – 172
 TOEIC  Test of English for International Communication 670-230

Information on test dates, scheduling, and costs can be obtained at the respective websites of TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge English. When taking a TOEFL or IELTS exam, please use the HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht institutional code of 9942 to request your results certificate to be sent directly to us.

Exemptions to the English Language Requirement

Some international students are granted exemption from the English language test based on their foreign diploma. Please see here for the complete list of applicable countries and diplomas. Please note that this only applies if you actually took English as an exam subject in your final year!

Students who have obtained a diploma in the UK, US, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia; students with an accredited international American high-school diploma or British international GCSE/ A-levels; and students with the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, the Caribbean Examinations Council certificate, or European Baccalaureate with English as first or second language are also exempted from this requirement.

All others must submit a proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the above certificates.

Dutch-taught Programmes

Students with a foreign diploma must show proof of Dutch proficiency to enroll into a programme taught in Dutch. This also applies to students with Dutch nationality who have obtained their high-school diploma outside of the Netherlands.

HU accepts the following documents as proof of Dutch proficiency:

  • NT2 Diploma Programma II
  • Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal (CNaVT) met het profiel Educatief Startbekwaam en Educatief Professioneel.
The NT2-II test is centrally administered through the DUO organization. Please see their website for information on test dates, costs and registration.