As an international student you are allowed to have a part-time job during your studies. In fact many students do. However certain regulations apply, so it is advisable that you check these first. These regulations might also apply if you are going to do an internship or volunteer work in the Netherlands.

You can find detailed information about health insurance, paying taxes and student finance through the Pathfinder link link on our website. Please see below for some general information on working in the Netherlands during your studies.

Students from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland

If you are a student from outside the EU and hold a residence permit in the Netherlands for study purposes, you are allowed to work next to your studies with the restriction of ten hours a week or fulltime in the months June, July and August. Your employer must arrange a work permit for you. If your employer requires a declaration confirming your student status, you are welcome to contact the International Office at

Students from EU/EEA/Switzerland

You are allowed to work as many hours as you like. You do not require a work permit.

Students from Croatia

If you are a student from Croatia, the EU regulations do not yet apply. You will need to arrange a ‘work study’ permit through your employer the same way as non-EU students.

Exchange students

If you are an exchange student and you need a work permit, please take into consideration that it might take a few months to arrange. Therefore if you are staying for less than one year, it might not be worthwhile.

Working in the Netherlands after graduation

If you wish to stay and look for a job in the Netherlands after graduating from HU there are different possibilities, depending  on your nationality. For certain groups of foreign nationals immigration procedures apply which offer you the possibility to stay in the Netherlands for a period of up to twelve months to find a job as a highly skilled migrant.

If you are a student from an EU country and you consider staying in the Netherlands after graduation, it is recommended you voluntarily register at the Dutch Immigration Service. If you then decide to live in the Netherlands for more than five years, you will be able to apply for permanent residency for EU citizens. Please refer to the Study in Holland website for more information about working after your studies in the Netherlands.

More Information

Check the FAQ or contact us.

Personalized info

Use the Pathfinder wizard to find out which visa or permit procedure is applicable in your situation. In the wizard you can also see which other preparations you need to make if you decide to study at HU University of Applied Sciences and when.

Use the wizard