Please see below for some frequently asked questions that we have compiled to help you find quick answers to your questions.

  • General

    • What is the difference between a university of applied sciences and a research university?

      Universities of applied sciences are more practically oriented than research universities and include internships at companies. More information.

    • Does HU provide facilities for students with special needs?

      HU’s student counsellors are experienced in assisting students with special needs, and if you have a disability or chronic illness, you are encouraged to let us know. More information.

    • When does the school year start? Is it possible to start in February?

      Our English-taught bachelor programmes and the Foundation Year start once a year in September. It is not possible to join the programme at any other time in the year. We do offer a 5-month English preparatory programme that starts in February: the Foundation Course. Our exchange programmes start in September and February.

    • Are HU diplomas valid world-wide? Is HU internationally accredited?

      A bachelor degree programme at HU generally requires 4 years of study (240 credits). Higher education in Holland enjoys a worldwide reputation for its high quality. This is achieved through a national system of regulation and quality assurance. The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science is responsible for legislation pertaining to education. Students will be awarded recognized degrees only after completing an accredited degree programme. All the Bachelor’s programmes at HU are accredited. More information.

    • How many students are studying at HU?

      HU is one of the largest higher-education institutions in the Netherlands and is funded by the state. HU student population is over 38.000 and includes more than one hundred different nationalities. More information.

  • Applications and admission - bachelor programmes

    • What kind of diploma is required for admission?

      Generally speaking, we require a secondary school diploma with college preparatory component. After receiving your application documents, we compare the level of your diploma to the Dutch minimum requirement for entry, the havo-diploma (for general education) or MBO-4 (for vocational education). More information.

    • What if I don’t have my diploma yet?

      If you are in your final year of high school, you can apply to HU before receiving your final diploma. If you submit a transcript of records for your full high-school study with the application, we are usually able to make a provisional admissions decision. IMPORTANT: If you need a visa for study and will receive your diploma after June 1st, please contact us as there may be consequences for the visa procedure.

    • Do I need to take a language test?

      For most international students, an English language test is required as part of your application procedure. However, students from certain countries are exempt based on their diploma. More information.

    • What if my level of English is not high enough yet?

      For those who do not yet have the necessary level of English for starting an English-taught undergraduate degree programme, HU offers two preparatory programmes. The Foundation Year takes 10 months and the Foundation Course takes five months.

    • Can I transfer from another (Dutch) university to HU and take my credits with me?

      While it is not impossible to transfer international credits, it is not an easy process and we generally advise students to attempt it only if they are willing to start in year 1 if necessary. This is because of two reasons: first, a request for transfer credit has to be put in for each subject offering supporting documents on the level and content. Second, the transfer request can only be made after starting the study programme. This means that by the time you are starting the programme, you will probably not yet know if you will be allowed any transfer credits or not. Please note: if you have a residence permit for study in the Netherlands at a different institution than HU, you will need to apply for a change of your residence permit.

  • Applications and admission - exchange programmes

    • Can I apply for an exchange programme at HU if my home university doesn’t have an agreement with HU?

      Only students from partner universities abroad can apply for an exchange programme at HU. Contact the International Office of your home university to find out if there is an agreement. More information.

    • What minimum level of English is required to be able to follow courses at HU?

      In general an overall score of B2 or higher (Common European Framework) is expected from exchange students. For a number of exchange programmes you need to submit a proof of your English level. It is strongly advised that you test your level before coming to Utrecht and take initiative to improve your level to B2 if needed.

    • What is the deadline to apply for an exchange programme at HU?

      • Fall semester (starting September): 1st of May
      • Spring semester (starting February: 1st of November

      HU only accepts applications if preceded by a nomination email from your home university. Contact the International Office of your home university to find out if you were nominated at HU. More information.

    • Where can I find the exchange course offer?

    • Will there be an introduction for newly arriving exchange students?

      Before the semester starts we organize an introduction day for exchange students. We expect you to be there so you don’t miss out on important information.

  • Finances

    • What does it cost to study at HU?

      Aside from the tuition fee, you will need to calculate in the following costs as you plan your finances. (Please note that exchange students do not have to pay a tuition fee.) The following amounts are approximations, intended to give you an idea of what to expect. Please be aware that precise amounts may vary.

      Expense  Amount Amount per academic year
      Health insurance (*)  € 40,00 per month € 480,00
      Living expenses, including rent € 865,00
      € 10.380,00
      Books and other school supplies € 800,00 € 800,00

      (*) EU students can often use their home health insurance at no extra cost.

    • Can I get a scholarship or grant?

      HU offers three scholarships to our international degree applicants from non-EU countries: the Holland Scholarship, the Excellent scholarship and the Talent scholarship. Exchange students from EU countries can apply for an Erasmus grant through their home university. Contact your International Office for more information. We do not currently offer any scholarships or grants for non-Dutch students from EU countries.

  • Studying and Living in Utrecht

    • Does HU offer housing to international students?

      If you come to the Netherlands as an exchange student or through our agents Integral and Educativa, or if you require a visa to come study in the Netherlands, HU will reserve housing for you. Degree students from EEA countries who do not come through an agent have to find their own accommodation.

    • Am I permitted to work in Holland during my study?

      If you are from the European Union or European Economic Area (with the exception of Croatia), you are free to work if you wish. Students from Croatia or any country outside the EU have to apply for a work permit before doing any paid work at all. With a work permit, you are permitted to work either full-time during summer vacation (in June, July and/or August) or for ten hours per week during the school year. More information.

    • Can I work after graduation?

      After completing their studies, non-EU students are offered the possibility to extend their stay for the period of one year through an immigration procedure called ‘Zoekjaar’. After this year you must have found a job as a ‘highly skilled migrant’ or a ‘labour migrant’ in order to stay in the Netherlands.

    • Do you offer any courses to learn Dutch? Do I need to know Dutch to study at HU?

      If you wish to join one of our English-taught study programmes, you do not need to have knowledge of Dutch language. However, you might be interested in learning Dutch while you are living in the Netherlands. This will definitely enhance your experience! HU offers different courses to learn Dutch. You will receive more information after your arrival in the Netherlands.

More Information

Check the FAQ or contact us.